ALIPÚS SAN JUAN
Alipús has been produced since 2000.
Original Producer: Don Joel Antonio Cruz, married to Mrs. Amalia.
Current producers: Joel, René and Abelio Antonio Juan, Don Joel’s children. Rodolfo Juan Juárez, Don Joel’s nephew, produces Alipús San Juan at his own palenque.
- Master mezcaleros: Joel, René, Abelio Antonio Juan and Rodolfo Juan Juárez.
- Soil: San Juan del Rio, Tlacolula, Oaxaca. Tierras blancas, poor in organic material, with stony, silt texture.
- Palenque elevation: 1,125 MASL.
- Altitude at which the maguey is planted: 1,250 to 1,700 MASL
- Color: Clear.
- Aroma: Caramel, roasted maguey, citrus, spices and herbs.
- Palate: Herbal and mineral notes. Light, rugged flavors. Fresh acidity with medium lingering flavor.
- Pairing: Enchiladas mineras, scrambled eggs, aged cheese, garnachas istmeñas (meat pies).